CURRENT NEWS ITEMS
May 2018 - Depot Improvements.
After months of preparation and planning, a large area of the rail motor shed floor was concreted on Wednesday, 23 May. The section of No.1 Road from the
end of the service pit northwards to the new shed extension used some 28 cubic metres of concrete. The newly concreted floor will extend the level work area
for use of our recently acquired forklift as well providing improved facilities for servicing of our rolling stock. The opportunity was also taken to relocate
the bogie lifting frame from No.1 Road to No.2 Road. The work was carried out by local contractors under the supervision of Rodney Short as Project Manager.
Thanks to all members who assisted with the project. Further concrete projects are planned to expand the level workspace in the shed.
May 2018 - Arthur Burgess elected Life Member.
At the Annual General Meeting, on the recommendation of the Board, Arthur Burgess was elected as a Life Member of the Society in recognition of his 29 years
May 2018 - Annual General Meeting.
The Society's Annual General Meeting was held on Saturday, 12 May 2018. The President thanked retiring Board members for their contribution during the
past year, and the line managers presented their regular reports. Five of the members retired in rotation and were eligible for re-election. Following the
AGM, the Board met and elected the Office-bearers for the ensuing year. The Board for 2018-2019 is:
February 2018 - 621/721 Flooring.
Following receipt of a grant from Transport Heritage NSW, the flooring in NPF 621 and NTC 721 was removed and replaced with new vinyl flooring.
A significant amount of the underflooring timber was also replaced to age related rot caused since its original construction in 1960-61. The work
was carried out by a contractor under the supervision of Michael Walsh as Project Manager. At the same time, the Society provided new kitchen
facilities in each car.
January 2018 - Board Retirements.
During December, two members of the Board submitted their resignations. The Board has appointed Bruce Greenham and John Ridden to fill the casual
vacancies. We congratulate Bruce and John upon their appointments.
December 2017 - Volunteer of the Year Awards.
The Society's annual Volunteer of the Year Awards were presented at the Christmas function held at Club Macquarie on Sunday,
11 December. These awards recognise the tremendous efforts made by our volunteer workforce during the current year. The awards were voted
on by the volunteers themselves and they represent true recognition of their efforts by their peers. The recipients were:
- 2017 Winner: Jim Lambkin
- 2017 Runners Up: Greg Duncan & Trevor Hooker
38 members and their partners enjoyed an excellent Christmas lunch and thanks go to Bev and Mick Walsh for organising the event and to Club Macquarie
for providing the venue and an excellent meal.
November 2017 - HPC 402 Bogie Repairs.
Following receipt of a grant from Transport Heritage NSW, HPC 402 was taken to UGL at Broadmeadow for bogie maintenance. Works to be undertaken includes
replacement of the bogie wheels, refurbishment of the bogie equipment and springs. New air compressors will also be installed while the bogies are out.
May 2017 - Shed Extension Completed.
The extension to our rail motor shed under the Hunter Region Heritage Grant Scheme was completed on 25 May. Construction was undertaken by contractor
Shed Boss of Raymond Terrace under the supervision of Bruce Agland as Project Manager. The grant provided $24,500 towards the $63,000 overall project
cost. A big big thank to all members that participated in the clean up of the site prior to the construction work commencing.
2017 - HEADLINES.
- Jan 2017 - HPC 402 More Radio Testing.
- Mar 2017 - KB 2511 Relocated.
- May 2017 - Annual General Meeting.
- May 2017 - Board Retirements.
- May 2017 - Shed Extension Completed.
2016 - HEADLINES.
- Jan 2016 - East Coast Low Pressure System.
- Mar 2016 - Operations on the South Maitland Railway.
- Apr 2016 - Hunter Valley Steamfest 30th Anniversary.
- Apr 2016 - HPC 402 Used For Ballast Survey.
- May 2016 - Annual General Meeting.
- May 2016 - Secretary Bryan Hicks Retires.
- Jul 2016 - Society Receives Heritage Grant.
- Oct 2016 - HPC 402 Radio Testing.
- Dec 2016 - Volunteer of the Year Awards.v>
2015 - HEADLINES.
- Jan 2015 - Coffs Harbour Shuttles.
- Apr 2015 - Annual General Meeting.
- Apr 2015 - Hunter Valley Steamfest.
- May 2015 - East Coast Storms.
- May 2015 - Shed Extension Completed.
- Jun 2015 - Cleanup of our Depot.
- Jul 2015 - Cleanup of Depot Completed.
- Aug 2015 - HPC 402 Maintenance.
- Sep 2015 - CPH's and 620 in the Metro.
- Nov 2015 - HPC 402 Radio Testing.
- Dec 2015 - Volunteer of the Year Awards.
2014 - HEADLINES.
- Mar 2014 - Annual General Meeting.
- Apr 2014 - HPC 402 to Binnaway.
- Apr 2014 - CPH 3 returns to service.
- May 2014 - Denman Food and Wine Festival.
- Jun 2014 - ARHS North West Long Weekend Tour.
- Jul 2014 - Gloucester "Chill Out" Festival.
- Aug 2014 - Wauchope-Coffs Harbour 2015 Rail Centenary.
- Aug 2014 - Two Gulgong Outings.
- Nov 2014 - 402 Club Ventures into Victoria.
- Dec 2014 - Volunteer of the Year Awards.
2013 - HEADLINES.
- Jan 2013 - Vale Kenneth Alfred Butt (1932-2013).
- Feb 2013 - Kiama storm washes out ARHS Nowra Tour.
- Mar 2013 - HPC 402 returns to service.
- Mar 2013 - First Victorian Operations.
- Mar 2013 - Annual General Meeting.
- Jun 2013 - ARHS South West Tour.
- Jun 2013 - Nyngan 130th Anniversary.
- Jul 2013 - Gloucester Chill out Festival.
- Aug 2013 - Denman's 10th Annual Outing.
- Sep 2013 - Rescue Helicopter Support Group to Hawkesbury River.
- Sep 2013 - Local Travel Agent's Tour to Gulgong.
- Oct 2013 - ARTC Inspection Tour with HPC 402.
- Oct 2013 - 402 Club West and South West Tour.
- Nov 2013 - ARE West and South West Tour.
- Dec 2013 - Volunteer of the Year Awards.
2012 - HEADLINES.
- Feb 2012 - Drainage works at Paterson.
- Mar 2012 - Annual General Meeting.
- Mar 2012 - Society Volunteer of the Year Awards.
- Jun 2012 - ARHS and 621/721 travel to Brisbane.
- Aug 2012 - Roof Covering for the TAM and BR.
- Aug 2012 - NPF 621 receives new engine and transmission.
- Aug 2012 - Victorian Accreditation Granted.
- Oct 2012 - ARTC Executives Inspect the SSFL and Main South.
- Dec 2012 - Volunteer of the Year Awards.
2011 - HEADLINES.
- Feb 2011 - Society supports Dungog Shire efforts for new GP.
- Feb 2011 - North Coast Curve Easing Survey.
- Feb 2011 - Depot Flooded Again.
- Mar 2011 - Annual General Meeting.
- Apr 2011 - ARTC Inspects New Routes.
- May 2011 - 621/721 travels to Roma Street.
- Jun 2011 - 621/721 travels to Broken Hill.
- Jul 2011 - CPH 3 completes successful main line trial.
- Aug 2011 - Society helps Hastings Cancer Trust fundraiser.
- Aug 2011 - Society helps Dungog celebrate its rail centenary.
- Sep 2011 - ARTC Southern Inspection.
- Oct 2011 - Society takes Victorian Group to Cobar.
- Dec 2011 - Society members receive NSW Rail Heritage Volunteer Awards.
- Dec 2011 - Society takes delivery of Front-end Loader.
2010 - HEADLINES.
- Jan 2010 - 621/721 heads out in new paint scheme.
- Mar 2010 - CPH's make first run into Queensland.
- Apr 2010 - Hunter Valley Steamfest.
- Apr 2010 - Annual General Meeting.
- May 2010 - Society Book Collection Catalogued.
- Jun 2010 - Society Member wins Rail Heritage Volunteer Award.
- Jul 2010 - Restoration of Rail Motor Trailer No.51.
- Oct 2010 - Murrurundi Locomotive Depot Reunion.
- Oct 2010 - Dunedoo Railway Centenary.
- Dec 2010 - Taree 620 Launch.
2009 - HEADLINES.
- Mar 2009 - Annual General Meeting.
- Apr 2009 - Society receives Heritage Grant for Trailer No.51.
- Jul 2009 - Society Members win annual Rail Heritage Volunteer Awards.
- Sep 2009 - The Rail Motor Society celebrates 25th Anniversary.
2008 - HEADLINES.
- Jan 2008 - Storm Damage Repaired
- Mar 2008 - Annual General Meeting
- Apr 2008 - Heavy Rain Limits Steamfest Crowds
- Apr 2008 - Heavy Rain Causes More Yard Damage
- Jun 2008 - HPC 402 carries out radio testing on the Epping-Chatswood Rail Link
- Jul 2008 - Society Teams win Rail Heritage Volunteer Awards
- Aug 2008 - Site Drainage Stage I Completed
- Sep 2008 - Society awarded custody of RailCorp's heritage 620 Class Set
- Oct 2008 - HPC 402 receives a new paint job
- Nov 2008 - Society receives reciprocal accreditation in Queensland
View our last Newsletter
Past Newsletter Archive